Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Crayon Art.

Crayons. Cavas. Glue. A hairdyer. What?! This creation was all the rage on the P. a while back. I decided it looked like a fun and easy project, so naturally I had to try it! 

As far as materials, I already had some various size painting canvases at home from other projects. These vary in price depending on the size canvas you want to use. I picked mine up at Hobby Lobby and have also bought them at Joann's (FYI, those are two of my favorite stores). I bought a couple boxes of Crayola crayons when I was out shopping one day. I already had my hot glue gun and glue sticks at home. This project was easy, but a little messy. 

To complete the project, all I did was affix the crayons to the canvas with my hot glue gun. Then I melted the crayons using my hairdyer. Let it dry for a while and it's ready to display! 

The reason that this messy is because even on low, the dyer can cause some paint to splatter. I'd recommed doing this in an area that's covered with a drop cloth, or that you don't mind getting messy. I did mine on my kitchen counter, not realizing that it would be so messy. I did cover the counter in waxed paper, but some of the melted crayon did fly around. It was easy to clean up though. I just scraped it off the areas that it hit. The second time I did a project like this, I used more waxed paper so that I didn't have such a mess of crayon to clean up.

You can arrange crayons anyway or in any shape that you'd like. You can also control how the crayons melt. You might want thinner lines, a more splattered look, or a large area covered. The style is up to you! On the first one, I put my caryons in a straight line, grouped by color. That piece is displayed on my mantle. The second one was a Valentine for my then-boyfriend. I used a color scheme based on his favorite colors, red and black with a couple orange and pink hues added for a little more flair. I also painted a red heart on that canvas and wrote on the back, using it instead of a card or paper Valentine. It was a fun and unique alternative to a regular card! 

This is a project that I think is fun for kids or adults! I definitely wouldn't let a child do it solo, but it would be a fun activity to do together. I think that it would be fun to make one based on the color scheme of the child's bedroom, and it could be hung on one of the bedroom walls. While I do not have children, I think it's important to involve them in a variety of activities and allow them to "help" with things as much as possible. A child should be taught to take pride in his or her work, and a great way to do so would be by displaying it! 

This is a project that I will be doing again sometime!




No comments:

Post a Comment